Friday, January 28, 2011

Last Friday of the First Month of 2011

I was up early this morning helping the kids get ready for school. Once they were out the door I laid back down and took a bit of a nap till I had to get up, which wasn't all that long. See today was my Dorothy's family day at school. It is the one day of the month where the parents are invited in, although we can show up any time, it is just a set date so for those who would like to come can also hang with other parents and get to know one another. These are one of my favorite activities, making friends.

When I was ready to go I put on my gloves, grabbed my keys, and my card so I could stop and get milk on the way home. Soon as I opened the door I noticed that my van was covered with snow, and ice. Unlocked the van, started the engine, fished around for the scrapper, brush combo, and comenced clearing the windshield off while the heat from the inside of the van joined in helping. Once cleared hopped in and would only be a few minutes late for me, but really you can come in any time. I just like to be the first there and the last to leave.

Found a parking spot, hurried to the front of the school to be greeted by one of my favorite people greeters. Her name happens to be the same as mine and is in our family through marriage on both sides actually. Strange but true, well she just loves my keyrings (they have my name on them). So of course I show her the new one my husband got for me as a gift, and she reminds me to tell my husband the next time make sure he picks her one up too. We chat a little about how the kids are doing, how my Samantha is coming along, and then it is time for me to get upstairs and join in with all the fun.

When I first get to the classroom I look right away for the sign in sheet for the volunteers, I didn't see one so I saught out the teacher who had forgotten to put one out. There were parents already milling around and doing some acivities so I got to sign first, then passing it onto the next parent, or daughter in this case. Samantha takes time out of her schedule to be there for Dorothy on the family days. Dennise has only been able to come to one, Dennis 2, me everyone of them. I do have to mention you get points for being a volunteer for just about anything and it also helps out with funding for the classroom.

This month they had a winter theme, so they had ice fishing (a silver mat of sorts with magnetic fish on it with poles made out of pencils, string, and magnets to catch the fish with, Polor Bear or Penguin craft, Dorothy chose the Polar Bear, then making mittens in which Samantha had to make one too, never too old to have fun with arts and crafts I say. They also had a water table with the water dyed blue, and of course the Riff books were there for the kids to pick out. The smiles on the kids when they get to pick a book out to keep for their very own is always a blessing to see.

As always I had some wonderful conversation with parents and teachers, time flew by and it was time for first Samantha to get to her testing and for me to head home. I said my good byes, giving Dorothy a big wet one on her forehead, then off to get some milk before returning home for the day.

Samantha had a friend coming over, which ended up getting home before her so Dennis and I chatted, getting to know each other, and making them feel welcome. Samantha got home a short time later, walked Princess, introduced Princess to her friend. It was love at first site but of course for Saint Bernards that comes naturally anyways. Her friend stayed till a while after the kids got home from school, and I started writing my tow blogs for here.

What I got accomplished today was being with my daughter at Family Day, meeting a friend of Samantha's, talking to freinds and teachers, and a load of dishes, so it is time for me to get some clothes folded and think about dinner. I hear the kids playing a game of Candy Lane, I am in for the next game I think we are playing chutes and ladders. Thank you for stopping by today and hope to blog here more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment